Self-Assessment

Ivan lara 

Professor J. Matias 

FIQWIS 10013

12/5/21

My First Freshman Class was a Success

We all desire growth in what we pursue and value the most, whether it’s painting, music or any of the creative arts. However in my case writing hasn’t always been my forte. It wasn’t until I was in this class that I found out the importance of cultivating strong writing skills. Becoming a better writer means you’re able to communicate your ideas in a cohesive and transparent way. Likewise, this skill set can be used when I apply for my major as an architect or in my career as a future architect. I need to know what message I am giving to the reader, the type of the genre for my writing, and my stance. I’ve realized there are many elements that build a strong writer from a weak one and I am enthralled to seek these skill sets so my audience can understand my viewpoint. In this self assignment essay I will be showcasing what I have achieved in this class and elaborate on how I can utilize this skill set in the near future. 

Some of the learning objects this semester I have achieved were strengthening my rhetorical thinking skills. A major aspect of becoming a better writer is understanding someone else’s ideas and dissecting every aspect of it. As a reader/writer you analyze the voice, audience, tone, attitude and reception of the author. For example I clearly discuss the rhetorical moves in my final research essay as shown here. “While supporting his ideas with evidence Cox appears to write in hopes of explaining the influences lion king had economically and socially in order to understand how the lion king was a successful musical(Gordan Cox). Cox adopts an informative and passionate tone for his audience; it seems like he’s writing for an audience who is interested in revenue, statistics and theater enthusiasts.” I no longer read a text and bring no conclusion but on the contrary I carefully look at the text and look at what the author’s message is. Thus making text to text connections with my own ideas.  In addition, synthesis is a crucial part of writing because that’s how you connect your ideas appropriately and instead of summarizing the key points you bring up 2 new ideas and connect them.

The information and workshops we  have done in  class will allow myself to expand and gain new opportunities. Like I mentioned in the beginning of the essay, these skill sets are important because it will be easier for my audience to understand my message. I want to become a architecture/designer, i have so many great ideas in my head and i know can use my ideas for different communities around the nation and even around the world, that’s why i thinks it’s important for me to keep exercising my retrocal skills so my audience can understand the message i am echoing. For example, If I want to design an eco-friendly and 20 story building with no artificial ventilation implemented, I need to cohesively prove my point of view to my audience and I can do that appropriately by using tone, stance, voice, ect.  This is also a great tool when reading, let’s put the scenario that i am reading a book about architecture and the topic is, why we should make our skyscrapers higher than 50 stories, i need to understand what is the author’s attitude towards the citation and what type of audience she is dedicating this text to. 

.